Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Having a Grand Old Time

(American Food in Seinäjoki )    

(American, Asian, and Tex-Mex in Seinäjoki Shop)

Yesterday was a wonderful day. Made even better by the fact it was a Monday, and that Friday will be my birthday, and on Saturday I leave for a week-long trip to Lapland with all (140 or so) the Rotary exchange students in Finland. And on the sixth of December it will be Finland's Independence Day (going strong since 1917).

It started off as a normal Monday, and became progressively better as the day went on. I was able to understand much of what was going on in class, and in my World Religions class we watched a movie on Japanese culture, so I knew exactly what they were talking about.

After school we had gym, a class I usually fail miserably at, but today I was able to impress everyone in swimming! I felt so proud of myself! I was the top swimmer in the Swim Cooper Test, a 12 minute endurance test, and I managed 575 meters. Not too bad, considering I haven't been in swim team in over a year!

As a present to myself, while waiting to be picked up, I bought myself sukla (chocolate) ice cream to eat on my walk from the swim center to the library in the snow. While the few Finns I passed on my way looked at me a bit oddly, using a spoon clenched tightly in my gloves to eat my prize, I was happy under the falling snowflakes, warm even.

And I was really happy when I got to the library because, well, it's a library, one of my favorite places to be, regardless of what languages the books may be in.

All in all, a splendid pre-birthday afternoon.

                                       



Though this may not seem all too relevant to my main blog posts, I just felt like posting something short that describes what I'm feeling right now.  So, to all who read this, I wish a very happy (almost) Joulukuu (December).

No comments:

Post a Comment